Monday, November 10, 2008

The Vincent and the Sportster


Ever notice how a Sportster's left side resembles a Vincent?

Seeing Jeff Decker's Vincent on Chopper Dave's blog prompted me to post these photos of Bill Cotton (Century Motorcycles San Pedro, Ca.), and his Vincent.

Is this a cool bobber or what?

It's always mentioned in H-D history how the K model and Sportster were developed in response to British twins (Triumph and BSA), and the shifter was on the right to lure their riders. It's never said but, I think H-D was trying to build the poor man's Vincent.

Sportster 4 Gallon Turtle Tank

I always thought the 4 gallon turtle tank that came out in 1961(?), was influenced by the Vincent's tanks.

Somewhere I have a photo of a K Model overhead mock up/prototype. If I find it, I'll post it.